Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Using Renewable Energy: The Foundation

Using Renewable Energy: The Foundation

In the first blog, I had some great ideas.  Since that post I have done a LOT of research.  Finally when my curiosity got the best of me, I spent some $$ for the next phase of the experiment.  There are essentially four parts: The solar panel, the charge controller, the battery bank, and the power inverter.  I also purchased a USB AA/AAA charger and 8 each of the AA and AAA batteries.

The Solar Panel
I purchased a HQST 100 Watt 12v Monocrystalline Solar Panel from Amazon Prime:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018BMGTTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Update.  Solar panel is HERE

I have high hopes for this panel.  What is nice about it is that I can add another panel whenever I'm ready (and my budget allows).  I think that two panels in series (24v) will allow for a better usage of the charge controller.  After that I'll add another two panels in series, but combine 2+2 in parallel for more amperage.  At max, one panel will be 8.33 Amps.  So the four in that combination will be 16.66 Amps at 24v.  But for now, I will have only this one solar panel.  I also ordered the mc4 connectors.

Charge Controller
I went by the amazon ratings.  I'm not looking for the absolute top of the line charger controller right now.  I just needed something that will charge a battery bank.  I bought this 20A charge controller / battery regulator:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU0WMGT/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The price was right.  Hopefully it does what I expect.

Power Inverter
This inverter spent a lot of time on my wish list, and eventually someone bought it for me for Christmas!   Its a 12v to 110 AC power inverter for a car - which also can be hooked up with alligator clips to a battery.  It has dual 3.1A USB ports and two AC plug recepticals.  Also from Amazon Prime.  It is the #1 Best Seller in Power Inverters.  This is what is going to drain the battery bank and provide AC Power.

Batteries
I also bought 8 AA and 8 AAA rechargeable batteries:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW4AL1O/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&th=1

And a charger that will work via USB:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PZ6V99U/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The thought is to recharge those batteries via the battery bank and inverter.

Battery Bank
I've done a bunch of research on batteries.  I found the absolute best AGM deep cycle battery ( Odyssey 31-PC2150S Heavy Duty Commercial Battery ), and the battery I think I will eventually use for going off-grid ( Trojan T105 RE ).  With that being said, I needed something to experiment with.  I searched Craigslist and came across someone selling batteries that were taken from medical equipment at the hospital.  He was selling each one for 10$ so the price was right.  I met him and bought 8 - 6 for me and 2 for a friend.  The batteries are Panasonic LC-X1228AP.  I wired them in parallel using 10GA well pump wire and put them on a battery tender.  The battery tender topped off the battery bank nicely.  This will get me ready for the solar panel and charge controller.  I also have to come up with some solution to make the battery bank somewhat portable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment