Thursday, May 26, 2016

94 GT : Push Start TFI vs TFI-ICCD

For some time now I've been chasing a random stumble.  I eventually tracked it down to a misfire / ignition.  I could see in the data logs that the RPM would drop, then catch up again.  Shortly after that the wideband would show a lean condition.  It turned out to be the TFI.  I replaced it with a DY1077 motorcraft TFI (they no longer say motorcraft on them, but it is a ford part).  Theres a bit of a story behind it though.

Some time ago the stock TFI failed. Car died, towed home wouldn't start.  I had an old fox distributor with a working TFI, so I stuffed that in the fender, plugged in the TFI and it started right up.  I removed the TFI from the stock distributor, modified it to fit and installed it with some dielectric grease.  For a few years, the car ran just fine, so I didn't expect there to be an issue.  I can only assume that the ignition demands of the new motor made the stumble present itself.  Thats when I did some research.  Long story short, the 86-93 Fox TFI are Push Start, and dwell is controlled by the TFI module alone.  94/95 are TFI-ICCD (increased computer controlled dwell) and the ECU will control a few additional parameters related to dwell (coil charging).  When a Fox TFI is used in a 94/94, the ECU defaults to PIP to control dwell, which is very short.  here is a great write up!

http://www.myo-p.com/Ford-EEC/EEC%20Help%20files/Files/TFI_grey_or_black.html

now the car runs awesome with the correct TFI installed.  I'm also playing around with the spark tables.  I found that adding an additional 2 degrees really didn't add to the performance / seat of the pants feel.  But it wasn't pinging either.  So when I needed fuel I used regular rather than premium, and it still runs awesome.  I do have the fuel type set to 10% ethanol, so the calibration accounts for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment