Friday, June 19, 2015

94 Mustang GT: GT 500 Wheel Install

I have had the GT500 American Muscle wheels for some time now.  I finally got around to ordering some tires for them.  I wound up going with Kuhmo Ecsta LX Platinum size 255 45 18.  The wheels are 18x9 all around.

I brought them to a friend of mine who mounted them.  When I got them home, I jacked up the 94 and pulled the back wheels.  I removed the mach1 center caps and installed those on the new wheels - they are black with the mustang emblem on them.  I found that impact sockets were too big for the new wheels.  I threaded the lugs on by hand and had to use a 3/8 socket to torque them down.  other than that, they looked pretty good.  I swapped the front ones as well.

The front stance looked good.  I remember when we installed the 2003 cobra front lower control arms we left the spring isolators out.  The back stance looked really high. Those isolators were still installed.  I jacked up the car, put the jack stands under the subframe connectors and lowered the rear.   I pulled the sway bar. With a jack under the lower control arm, I removed the bolt and lowered the arm so I could remove the spring.  I pulled out the upper and lower isolators.  I did the same for the other side and put it all back together.  The rear stance was WAY better now.  Some pics are below!

I wound up selling the mach wheels / tires to a friend of mine for a good deal.  He installed them on his 01GT - they look great on his car.

Before new wheels

After new wheels

After the rear isolators were removed

No comments:

Post a Comment