Thursday, June 8, 2017

2003 Terminator Upgrade - Compustar 901 Alarm

I don't post too often about the 2003 Cobra.  It typically sits in the back of the garage with a car cover over it.  It comes out on very nice weekends when we are taking a cruise.  It has gotten a LOT more use recently since the 94GT has been on jack stands for almost two months - See the post about the TKO500 transmission install. 

Before winter, the Cobra came out for a trip to Perona Farms.  My wife and I were married there, and they have a Sunday brunch witch is OUTSTANDING.  We go every year on our anniversary.  I noticed when we got to Perona that when I armed the Viper alarm system, it didn't sound right.  I unarmed it and manually locked the car.  Then I forgot about it.  Fast forward to a cruise to the Sawmill in Seaside Heights NJ with the NJ Venom Outlaws.  The cruise was quickly approaching, and if we were going we needed to take the cobra since the 94 was still under the knife.  I tested out the alarm system - rolled down the window, armed the system, and opened the door from the inside.  The alarm tried to go off, but it was stuck in some fast chirp mode.  I needed to unhook the battery and pull the alarm control module out of the car.  This is the second time this alarm gave me trouble.  First time was when the original remote failed. 

I stopped by a local shop - Direct Connection in Broadheadsville PA.  I spoke to the owner, Marcus.  He gave me some history on Viper, which he does not deal with anymore.  Understandable when he told me about their history and product lines.  The shop is a dealer for Compustar alarm systems.  And after reading up on their products I was certainly a fan.  I called Marcus on a Tuesday with the task of getting the old alarm out and the new alarm in before the end of the day on Friday.  He told me that if I could have the car at the shop first thing Friday morning, it would be done.  I got the car there, and he certainly delivered!  I couldn't be happier with the work he did.  The system installed is the Prime 901.  I won't get into the details of the remote other than it has a range of about a mile.  And believe me, that statement is pretty accurate!  I couldn't be happier with the service and the product!

The cruise to the shore went great.  At one point I even forgot to arm the alarm and really tested out the range.  It did NOT disappoint! 

No comments:

Post a Comment