Thursday, August 10, 2017

1994 Mustang GT TKO500 install - shakedown cruise



I took the 94 on a shake down cruise last night.  I wanted some confidence before taking it to work tomorrow.  I hit some twists and bumps on the way to the highway, everything seemed to work fine.  I get on the highway, and I notice that the RPMs are higher than normal at cruising speed.  typically, they are like 2200 2300 for 80 MPH.  I’m seeing 2600 to 2800 at 80mph now.  This seemed strange to me.  Then I realized everyone was driving really slowly.  So I take out my phone and open the GPS dashboard to verify speed.  Turns out, its ME that is going WAY faster than everyone else.  The speedometer is off by 12-16 MPH slower.  That means when I saw 80 on the dash… yeah… maybe closer to 95?  creeping up on 100?  Good part is that it was still pretty smooth at those speeds.  Another thing that I noticed is that with the urethane motor mounts and transmission mount that I feel the vibrations more. Not a bad thing, just more noticeable.  Lastly, the off-road X pipe is louder.  Like I could scare someone walking down the street if I downshifted and got on it next to them.

More about the exahust - When I ‘get on it’ its really loud.  Cruising down the highway its VERY quiet.  The difference is night and day.  The gear ratios in the TKO are similar to my t5, so that is not  much different.  The speedometer gear needs to change.  My t5 is a 1994, so it has an 8 tooth speedometer drive gear.  Stock driven gear is 20 tooth.  I verified that since its sitting on the garage floor.  I just pulled it out and counted the teeth.

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Speedometer-Gear-Calculator

I used the calculator online and entered my wheel /tire info:  255/45/18 and rear end gear info: 3:31.  for the T5 8 tooth drive gear it states I need a 20 tooth driven speedometer gear.  Which is exactly what I have.  And the Speedometer WAS very accurate with the T5.

The TKO500 uses a 7 tooth drive gear for the speedometer.  So changing the calculator from 8 to 7 tooth means I need a 17 tooth driven speedometer gear, which I ordered. 

Note - changing to the 17x9 wheels with 275 40 17 tires needed a different speedometer gear again.  Its close, but still a few MPH off. 




No comments:

Post a Comment