Tuesday, November 7, 2017

1994 Mustang GT TKO500 Tailshaft Leak Fix



The previous post talked about finishing up the TKO500 installation.  At the end of which the tailshaft seal was leaking.

To replaced that seal I got the car back up in the air, removed the driveshaft and used a seal puller.  I then put the new seal in so that it was flush with the tailshaft housing.  Installed the driveshaft again and drove the car around.  The seal was still leaking.  The thought was that it was due to the driveshaft yoke.

I ordered a new driveshaft yoke.  The part number is kind of hard to find.  Lets talk about the yoke for a minute.  Its a 31 spline, 4.5 inches from teh machine face to the end of the yoke.  it takes 1330 style U-joints. The American Powertrain part number is DSUN-10001.  Looking at the picture of the box, that part number is on it along with a Dana part number 2-3-6041x.  I did some searching and found a reasonably priced new yoke on eBay and ordered that.  I think I spent about 55$ shipped to my door.  The yoke with the American Powertrain part number is about double the price.  Newsfalsh - its the same yoke. I also ordered another new tailshaft seal - that part number is TCSJ1277.

I got the car up in the air and removed the driveshaft again.  I also realized that the driveshaft bolts - socket cap bolts, were getting a little bit stripped out.  Likely this was because of using a 3/8 hex instead of the correct 10mm hex.  I headed to the hardware store and picked up replacement bolts.  With the driveshaft out of the car, I removed the old yoke and installed the new one.  I have a pretty serious Wilton machinist vice.  I was able to use it like a press along with some sockets to get the U Joint out and swap the yokes.  Next I headed under the car and removed the tailshaft seal with the seal puller again.  this time, to install the new seal I made a seal driver.  I wanted to be sure that it was seated correctly.  This is when I learned that the seal should be installed with a seal driver.  The last time the seal was flush with the tailshaft housing.  This time the seal sat about 3/8 of an inch inboard of the tailshaft housing.  Likely this is what was causing the leaking.

I replaced the driveshaft along with the new driveshaft bolts.  I cleaned up underneath the car and proceeded to drive it a bunch of times.  The leak was fixed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment