Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Clutch and Related

I see a lot of questions come up about clutch and related components.  I thought it would be a good idea to share my personal preferences since I’ve been through a lot of different venders and combinations.

Let’s start with the flywheel.
I prefer a billet steel flywheel.  The lightweight aluminum ones are nice, but there’s just something about the billet steel that feels ‘sturdy’.  Also the aluminum ones come with a wear plate that is often hard to remove if it needs to be surfaced.

Clutch / pressure plate
I’ll preface this by stating that most of my builds have been less than 500HP, so that is where my experience is.  I’m a big fan of RAM clutches.  I’ve had their muscle car clutch, HDX, and power grip setups.  When in doubt, call their tech line or email them.  They will recommend their clutch that is right for you.  Comes with the TOB, which I’ve also had good luck with.

Pilot bearing
Dont skimp - just get the Ford Racing pilot bearing (M7600A is for the 5.0L Windsor).

Clutch Cable
The maximum Motorsports cable is the one to have, its the OEM cable and it will work absolutely perfectly for years.  There is also a spacer MMCL17 - make sure you get that too as some clutches will require it.

Quadrant and Firewall adjuster
Not all are created equally.  I like the UPR speed release quadrant (UPR-3004-08).  And I’ve been through a LOT of different quadrants over the years.  It has a great pedal feel and travel.  The firewall adjust I use is also UPR called a quick click (3004-17).  

Things to check - make sure you check the wear on the clutch fork and pivot ball.  Also maker sure to check out the rear main seal, although without a sleeve they typically continue to leak even after replacement.










No comments:

Post a Comment