Tuesday, June 19, 2012

94 Mustang GT: Background

I'll start with a little bit of a background. A few years ago, I picked up a 1994 Mustang GT convertible for $4k. It had 102k miles on it, and it was basically un-touched. By that I mean that there was nothing more than the exhaust done. Everything else on the car was stock. My goal at the time when I bought the mustang was to have a reliable daily driver that gives me at least 22 mpg to and from work (150 mile round trip).

It has far surpassed that goal. I average 22.5 mpg and the car now has 187k miles on it. It has only left me stranded once, and thats because the TFI ignition module failed. I have spent $4334 in maintenance and upgrades since 2009.

I set a guideline that if any parts needed replacing because they were worn or defective, I would upgrade them to something better if I could.

Here are the upgrades I have made so far. I'll detail each one in a separate blog post:

Suspension
Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Ignition
Shifter / Rear
Exhaust
Cooling System
Stereo System / Seats
Misc: Cold Air Intake, Alternator and Balancer

I also have GT40 Iron heads and an original Cobra Intake to install, which is the current project. That should bring the Mustang GT up to (or past) 1994 Cobra specifications.

I'll cover the above in order and outline all the details as I go along!

No comments:

Post a Comment