Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Journey into the post PC Era: Printer

I know that its been a while, but I had a bit of an issue with the printer showing up at my house! The last hurdle I needed to jump to complete my journey into the post PC Era was the printer. My research using the helpful reviews over at cnet.com led me to a pretty neat little printer! The review is here for the Epson Stylus NX430 "Small-In-One" printer:

http://reviews.cnet.com/multifunction-devices/epson-stylus-nx430-small/4505-3181_7-35027589.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

The price was right so I ordered it from Office Max. They even gave me free shipping. I'm pretty sure I had to pay for tax though since they are a local chain. I ordered the printer and in the order summary it tells me that the printer is on backorder. Funny, it didn't mention that when I was placing the order. I sent an email to customer service and just as I got a reply back the next day, the printer shipped. I was going to cancel the order if the backorder wait time was too long. Since it was on its way I was happy! They provided the FedEx tracking number in the email. I tracked the package up until it was delivered. I couldn't wait to get home and hook it up! I got to my house later that day and there was no printer there. Disappointment. I called FedEx the next day and they put a trace on the package. The associate on the phone informed me that the package was 'mis-delivered'. This was a term I was unfamiliar with, so I had to ask the question, "What does that mean?". The associate told me that the printer was delivered to the wrong address. A few minutes later she informed me that it would probably be a day or two before its delivered. This was on a Thursday, which meant that I wouldn't see the printer until Monday. Long story short, it showed up yesterday!

When I got home from work, I unboxed the printer. I had to remove all the packaging / retaining tape so that the printer would function. I followed the quick start guide and literally five minutes later, the printer was up and running on my wireless network.

Let me start by saying that this printer is not an Air Print capable printer. It is a wireless N printer though. Epson offers an IOS app called iPrint. Catchy name! I downloaded the app to my iPhone and attempted to print out a document. It worked like a charm! Next I printed a 4x6 photo, then a 5x7 photo. Flawless. The iPrint application also lets me print from my photo library (including photo stream), Online Storage (drop box, evernote, google docs or Box), Saved documents or even a web page location (copy the URL into the iPrint address bar, it pulls up the page and will let you print it out). There is even an icon there to scan a document. Scanning will put the doc into your Saved Documents, and you can also print it from there.

The printer also has the popular removable storage slots for camera memory cards. The display on the printer is nice, and the touch screen is a nice... touch.

I was able to download a PDF from my FTP server via the iFTP App on my phone, preview the PDF, Open it in iPrint and print it out. My printing solution is complete!



No comments:

Post a Comment