Monday, August 29, 2016

1994 Mustang GT: Condenser and Radiator install

I had a leak in the suction / discharge line so I knew I was going to be doing some AC work.  As you read in my other posts, I also had an overheating problem.  I got the correct condenser - part numbers are in the other posting - a new 3 row champion radiator cc1488 and the correct suction discharge line.  I also rented the vacuum pump from Autozone, and picked up 3 cans of refrigerant R134a from Walmart, which has it for sale for less than 5$ a can.  That is a GREAT price.

Here's a neat story before I get to the installation write up.  I ordered a champion 3 row from Amazon.  Same day my friend says he has one used and cuts me a great deal on it.  I was expecting to just return the unit to Amazon.  Then the unit from amazon shows up POLISHED!  I put the polished unit in and sold the used one for what I paid for it.

I started by draining the stock radiator. Then the CCRM bracket so I could get the overflow out. Then pulled the fan and radiator together.  Lesson learned, I also removed the CCRM and put it aside so as not to knock it around.  Next I pulled the condenser, and the suction discharge line from the compressor that was leaking.  The lines are all similar to the fuel lines - so the fuel and AC disconnect tool works perfectly.  The system didn't have any refrigerant in it due to the leak, so there was nothing to reclaim.

The stock condenser had some plastic pieces on it to direct the flow of air.  They mounted to the condenser and made sure that the air didn't escape between the radiator and the condenser.  Those pieces mounted to the stock condenser with push pins.  I couldnt use them on the upgraded condenser, so I used some small black zip ties. The zip ties were able to be routed around the end 'tanks' of the condenser without hitting any fins.  They did the job perfectly.  I then installed the upgraded condenser, which fit in the factory location without any issues at all.

Next was the install of the stock fan shroud onto the new radiator.  As you can see from the pictures, the fan didn't quite line up with the bungs on the radiator.  I also had to re-tap the bungs since the bolts didn't thread in nicely.  After running a tap through, they were fine.  I got the left side lined perfectly, but the right side didn't really line up.  I simply drilled a hole in the shroud mount and put the bolt through that hole.



You can see here that the stock condenser is really road weary from all the miles / years.




















Here is the stock condenser on the right, and the upgraded unit on the left.




Here is the new suction discharge line side by side with the original.



The new radiator needed some persuasion to get it installed.  The anti-lock break unit needed to be moved a bit.  I loosened all the bolts, put a pry bar on it and tightened it back up again.  Then the radiator was able to fit into the lower mounts.  I also needed to move / and somewhat relocate the wire loom that runs across the upper rad support.  The drivers side of the radiator, where the rad mount would go, was hitting / pinching that wire loom. Once I moved it down a bit, there was clearance.  It was tight, but I was able to get the rad mounts installed on the top of the radiator.  Then I put the overflow in the bottom hole, and realized that there's not much clearance due to the extra thickness of the radiator.  I should have made a new mounting hole for the lower plate that the overflow mounts in, but I made it work.  I installed the CCRM and mounted that bracket.  It was really tight.  There's also not a lot of space between the fan and the pulleys now.

Last up was the suction discharge line.  I used some petroleum jelly on the O rings.  Then mounted it to the compressor.  That took some bending and modification of the line placement.  After some time, I did get it to seat right into the compressor, and tightened down the mounting bolt.  Lastly I connected all the refrigerant lines, which just press right in.

I hooked up my 134a gauges to the high and low side, and the center yellow line was hooked to the vacuum pump.  I ran the pump, opened the high and low sides, and it pulled a vacum.  I let it go for some time, then closed both sides, then shut off the compressor.  I let it sit overnight to make sure there were no leaks.  I missed a step here through - I should have pressurized the system with nitrogen and checked for leaks.  Then pulled the vacuum again.  I didn't have a nitrogen tank on hand ( and only learned about the nitrogen step later).

The next day I filled the radiator with fluid and pulled the car out.  As it was warming up I put the AC on full and I charged the system.  The first can of 134a almost gets sucked in due to the vacuum.  The second can took a little longer, and finally the third can.  By that time the car had warmed up, and the level of coolant in the radiator dropped.  I topped it off, and put the cap on.  I let it idle for about 10 more minutes, cleaned up some spillage, then took it for a ride.

I instantly noticed that the radiator is much more efficient.  The temperature drops FAST when that thermostat opens up.  And the AC is really cold.  I do need a hot day in traffic to really test it out.

I had it out again today and checked again for leaks.  Everything checked out OK!  Tomorrow I'll take it into the office 150 mile round trip and then report back on how it does in traffic.




1 comment: