Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My journey into the Post PC Era: Baseline

I should talk a bit about my home setup. My home computer is a dell optiplex tower with a good video card in the PCIe slot, capable of HDMI, DVI and VGA out. I am pretty sure that there is 512 MB ram on the video card. The computer itself is a single core pentium 4 processor with hyper threading turned on. The OS sees two logical CPU. There is 1GB RAM on the board, and I have a RAID controller plugged into the PCI slot. The controller has two Parallel ATA hard drives connected to it via the ribbon. The two 250GB drives are in a RAID1 (mirrored) configuration. Attached to that computer, I have an H233H Acer monitor, and Logitec 2.1 speakers. I also have an Epson CX 7400 printer / scanner. Typical USB keyboard and Mouse. For my home network I am using a cable modem and I pay for the highest bandwidth available. I use a motorola SB6120 (docsis 3.0) cable modem. Connected to that is a NetGear n900 Router. At the time of this post, it was the top of the line home router that NetGear offered. The router has 4 Gigabit ethernet ports, the connection to the cable modem is also at Gigabit speed. There are two wireless networks, 2 and 5 Ghz. There are also two USB ports on the Router. The technology used is called ReadyShare to make those USB ports usable for storage and a printer. I also have a laptop that is issued by my place of employment. My friends also have a laptop if I need to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment