Wednesday, July 22, 2015

94 Mustang GT Convertible: Springs and Lower Control Arms

Not long ago, I upgraded the wheels on the 94GT convertible to the GT500s from AM.  As a result of going to a bigger wheel / tire the stance sat a little bit high.  I removed all the isolators and that corrected the stance.  The stock springs still remained in there.

After loading the car up and heading down to Myrtle Beach, my concerns of the tire hitting the fender was realized.  This only happened in the back, but did manage to leave some marks / gouges on the tire.  It was nothing I could (or wanted to) fix in Myrtle Beach, almost 650 miles from my home (and air conditioned garage).  Time to upgrade!!!

Springs:
I can't imagine what spring rate the stock springs are now after 239,000 miles.  They have to be exhausted.  Solution - Eibach pro kit with energy suspension spring isolators have been ordered.  They make a kit specifically for a convertible (3530.140).  I'm thinking it will give the same ride height as the stock springs with no isolators.  We will see.  If I don't like how it sits, I can always put the stockers back in.  

Rear lower control arms:
A long time ago when I had my 90GT and this 94GT convertible, I upgraded the 90GT to a double adjustable UMI Performance lower control arm.  This helped center the rear wheel in the wheel well.  It was also spherical on the housing side and poly on the other, which helped with the street / strip theme of that car.  I removed the Hotchkins non adjustable LCAs and installed them in the 94GT along with some non adjustable BBK upper control arms which I picked up used for 50$ shipped.  I'm pretty sure I spent less than 100$ to buy those Hotchkins LCAs used at one time - but it was SO long ago I don't remember.  I dont have the 90GT anymore, so there are no more hand-me-down parts.  My plan is to pull those Hotchkins LCAs out and replace them with Maximum Motorsports sport series weight jacker LCAs (MMRLCA-102).  These are the ones with the poly bushings on both sides.  That will allow ride height adjustment when we overload the car for a road trip!

Stay tuned for the update on the installation!

No comments:

Post a Comment