Wednesday, January 8, 2014

94 Mustang GT: 8.8 Upgrade


when I recently replaced the clutch in my 94 i realized that the rear was leaking at the pinion seal.  I completely rebuilt it about 102k miles.  The car now has 220k on the clock.  I know from experience that just replacing the pinion seal doesn't work - it almost always leads to issues with the preload / crush collar.  I enlisted Shifter for help and he suggested that we install the ratech solid spacer instead of the crush collar on the pinion.  Make no mistake about it, he did all the technical stuff and is absolutely THE MAN when it comes to building an 8.8.  Here is what went down!

With the help of my lovely fiancé, we pulled the rear out of the car.  I also proceeded to mash one of the ABS sensors in the process.  Best is to tap these out with a brass punch or something soft - maybe a wooden dowel?  I tried to twist it - don't do that - 55$ mistake here.  The other side I tapped out with no issue.

here is the rear on saw horses:
[img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/geargambler/MyCars/1994%20Mustang%20GT%20Convertible/AF0FB261-D74A-4DB7-9EC5-BF8F6B12299F_zpsvc2jl1zn.jpg[/img]

and the brakes - marked per side so they go back on correctly
[img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/geargambler/MyCars/1994%20Mustang%20GT%20Convertible/0FDBF007-358A-47EC-AAC4-64A9BDA4B680_zpsuavlezus.jpg[/img]

sometime later I was able to get it over to Shifter's place.  We pulled out the carrier and he got to work welding the tubes and then straightening the axel tubes.

Heres a shot of the jig installed and the tubes prepped for welding
[img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/geargambler/MyCars/1994%20Mustang%20GT%20Convertible/C02A9402-1183-4FF4-9030-D6320F7BC481_zps5zdhdmf5.jpg[/img]

Verified with the jig- they were perfect after being corrected / straightened.
[img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/geargambler/MyCars/1994%20Mustang%20GT%20Convertible/EDD94D11-BA1D-4133-868B-319D5AA66514_zpsdgeiqg62.jpg[/img]

Next we pulled out the pinion gear and found out that the bearings / races were done.  The carrier bearings / races looked ok, but the pinion was pitted and needed to be replaced.  Luckily this guy keeps spare parts on hand.  Installed the new races and bearings for the pinion.  Then he went though the process of finding the correct shims for the solid spacer that gave the right preload on the pinion.

the surgery table, also the solid spacer is on the pinion gear
[img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/geargambler/MyCars/1994%20Mustang%20GT%20Convertible/8E5B5B53-9EA8-485F-9D74-627E0E64F4A8_zpsagyderei.jpg[/img]

Once that was established, the new pinion bearing was pressed on and installed in the rear.  then the carrier was installed.  This was also shimmed to tighten it up against the spacers.  At that point we were done for the night.  I took the rear, cover, axles and parts back to my place.

I put it back up on the saw horses so I could clean it, paint the welds, and install the axels.   I have a 2 gallon parts washer.  I also got an aluminum pan for under a hot water heater.  I plumbed it to return back to the parts washer.  I also installed a flex hose to the spicket of the parts washer so I can get the fluid up into the housing.  here is a pic of the setup when I used it to clean the crankshaft:  [img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/geargambler/MyCars/1994%20Mustang%20GT%20Convertible/D8551E41-27BB-4315-8567-539FDDB6998C-12533-000006734DF8F7F6_zps0e4d7885.jpg[/img]

I installed the axels, c clips, shaft and shaft retaining bolt.  Then I got to spraying the fluid into the rear to flush it out.  You wouldn't believe the shit that came out of here!  Once I was done and it was dry, I installed the fluid.  I used 75w140 synthetic.  One of them already had the friction modifier added.  the other quart did not have the friction modifier.  I installed the cover with some black RTV and it was ready to be installed.  With the help of my neighbor, I was able to install the rear into the car and get all the control arm / shock bolts torqued to spec.  I also made sure to grease the bushings in the 8.8 housing as well as the ones in the lower control arms.  I also reinstalled the brakes lines.  I installed the busted ABS sensor and the ABS light came on.  I installed the brakes, hub centric spacers and the wheels.  Everything looked good!

when the new motor craft ABS sensor came in I replaced this (drivers side) and it worked perfectly - the connection for the ABS is under the rear seat.

A very HUGE thank you to Shifter for all your help!  Let me know if anything here needs to be added / changed for accuracy.  I think I got it all though!

I also have to thank my Fiancé and my neighbor for the help on the rest of the surgery.

Good Times!

No comments:

Post a Comment