Wednesday, January 8, 2014

94 Mustang GT: Drivetrain Upgrade - Clutch and other Goodies: Intro and Background


I have owned and driven my 94 gt for over 115k miles now, and never touched the clutch. I did replace the driveshaft with one that I put fresh U joints in some time ago when I rebuilt the rear. I also replaced the cable / quadrant and added a firewall adjuster (maximum motorsports kit). The t5 has a tri-ax shifter in it. from the engine to the tailshaft of the trans was never touched. 

over the past few months, the clutch release bearing (throwout bearing) has been chirping... then chattering, now its even shaking the clutch pedal unless I adjust the firewall adjuster enought to keep pressure on the fork. I can do the same thing by resting my foot on the pedal. obviously not good signs. The other day, I couldnt get the car into gear so I adjusted the cable to make it a little more loose. that worked, but I can tell the days are numbered. the pedal grabs lower, and the release bearing is still making noise / rattling the pedal. That means that the fork is jumping around. 

over the past few months, I have been buying parts to prepare for my 306 build. I was planning on doing the clutch along with the engine swap but it looks like the clutch is going to happen before then. Good thing I got some parts stockpiled! 

Heres the list:
ford racing aluminum driveshaft
RAM HDX clutch and pressure plate
new ford racing dowl and pressure plate bolt kit
ARP flywheel bolts
freshly resurfaced stock flywheel
RAM 501 clutch release bearing
Ford Racing pilot bearing
Ford Racing steel bearing retainer for the T5 - I'm sure the stock one will be mangled with all the noise thats happening. 
timken tailshaft seal for the T5

I also have a few clutch forks just in case. This is still a daily driver car and this setup should maintain drivability. It should be nice and smooth when its all done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment