Wednesday, January 8, 2014

94 Mustang GT: Upgrade the plugs and wires!


I've been through a few sets of wires / etc lately and I thought it would be good to share my experience. I originally went with the motorcraft replacement wires. they worked great for a while until one of them melted on the header. my fault for not separating them correctly! 

I've ben running autolite 24's for a plug since I had the car (one heat range colder). I picked up MSD's street fire wire set thinking that this would be an economical replacement for the motorfcraft wires. I also replaced the plugs with the same ones again. 

The street fire wires didn't really fit well - they were tight. they also have a straight boot rather than an angled boot. By the time it was all said and done, they were installed and worked just fine… for a while. 

After a few months, the straight boot on the number 4 cylinder had gotten hot enough to crystalize the boot and eventually cause the spark to jump. I also found that since the wires were stretched so much, there was some other 'jumping' going on. I replaced the bad wires with some spares I had, and ordered a new set.

I took the advice from Mr Shifter, and the set I ordered is the Moroso Ultra 40 MOR-73718. It is a shielded wire set, numbered. I also needed to make the coil wire. I replaced the plugs and in the process found that the porcelain on number 8 was cracked. good thing I was replacing them. At a dollar a plug, its cheap! I installed all the wires and made sure they were separated nicely.

I also borrowed the MSD wire crimping tool (thanks again man!) for the coil wire. I cut the coil wire to length. Then installed the shrink wrap. Then I stripped the shielding and scraped the wire (it has a coating on it) to make sure it made contact with the metal end. I tested it to make sure it was good and installed and crimped the end. Then I had to push the boot on there and take a heat gun to the shrink wrap. Fits perfectly! 

I also want to add that this made a NOTICEABLE difference! its a lot more snappy now, for sure! I have a MSD coil, but other than that its a stock ignition. 

one more thing - I cut and dripped the street fire wire and put it beside the ultra 40. it is now engrained in my head that not all wires are created equally!

No comments:

Post a Comment