Monday, May 2, 2016

94 Mustang GT: Ceramic Coated Headers

While doing the engine swap, new BBK ceramic coated headers were installed.  When I pulled the stock motor, I already had some old style BBK Ceramic coated headers on the engine.  They were shorties, and had been 'fixed' before I installed them years ago.  When removing them from the stock motor I remembered how badly the individual flanges lined up with the exhaust ports.  The new style headers have a solid flange which allows everything to line up nicely.

I also got into a discussion with Jet Hot Coatings http://www.jet-hot.com/ for a quote.  Their customer service team was extremely helpful.  So much that I'm going to share my experience.  I went to the web site and entered my info to get the headers (with the individual flanges) coated.  The quote led to prompt emails being exchanged.  There is a fee to remove ceramic coating that is already on the headers.  I REALLY wanted to have Jet Hot do the work.  Their coatings have a lifetime warranty, and they don't just coat the outside, they do the inside as well!  Nobody else does that.  My decision to just buy new BBK ceramic headers came down to 1 thing.  Those individual flanges were a pain to get lined up.  I remember having pry bars and ratchet straps in use to get the bolt holes to line up properly.  New headers wouldn't have that problem.  I had to pass on the Jet Hot, because of this issue.  My experience with them was awesome.  And if I had a solid flange stainless set of headers, I would definitely have them do the work.

The BBK 15250 headers arrived and they are pretty!  I also put together a set of header studs using stainless set screws and stainless nuts and lock washers.  Once the gasket was installed, I installed the set screws and the header mounted right up with no hassle.  I'm still bummed I couldn't go with the Jet Hot coating, but this will have to do for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment