Monday, May 2, 2016

95 Mustang GT: Mass Air Upgrade and Quarterhorse Templates

As the days go by, I continue to learn.  I also bought a license for EEC Analyzer (also created by Clint Garrity).  I've learned what a template is and how to use it, which led me to kind of start over.

Here's what I did:
Load the T4M0 base calibration.  This calibration NEVER CHANGES.  Keep it as read only.
1.  Make changes to turn off EGR and Thermactor (smog).  Save as a template.
2.  Increase cubic inches to 306.  Change injector crank pulsewidth vs ECT by 306 vs 302 ratio and injector change ratio (19/19 so no change really) Save as a template.
3.  Make changes to low and high speed fan temps for on and off.  Save as a template.
This gets saved as my T4M0Base.

Today I'm driving to and from work and logging the entire time.  I'll push those logs through EEC Analyzer to see what pops up.  I already know that the stock 19s are not enough.  Duty cycle is just too high.  And the stock mass air is barely OK.  I've already seen a 4.86v reading, which means it's REAL close to being pegged.  That being said - read on for the beauty of the Quarterhorse!

Mass Air sensor:
I bought from eBay a stock 2004 5.4L F150 Mass Air meter.  It's basically the LMAF 90mm mass air meter, but not for the lightning.  There is a KNOWN mass air transfer curve for this particular meter (sensor and housing).  Shipped to my door it was 25$.  Thats right - a 90mm Ford mass air meter for 25$ shipped.  I had to buy some bigger 3.5 inch couplers (20$) and the correct mounting flange for an 03 F150 (15$) to get it installed with my cold air kit, and Sensor plug (I bought the original ford F150 plug for 24$ shipped).  I made an adapter to go from that mass air sensor chassis side plug to the mass air harness so it will look factory.  So for 85$ I can install this sensor, update the MAF transfer curve in the QH (already have a template for it) and eventually dial it in.  The known curve should make it a breeze.

Installing the Mass Air:
First step was to pull out everything from the stock mass air going into the fender and get it on the bench.  I then had to cut off the stock flange from the elbow that goes into the fenderwell.  This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I just needed to leave a 1 inch lip in case I needed to revert back to stock.  Then I started putting together the new setup.  I realized that the bolts for the stock meter to stock flange were too big and wouldn't work.  Off to the hardware store for nuts and bolts.  Came back and bolted the sensor to the adapter flange, added the coupler to the elbow and put that in the fender.  Then the other coupler to the tube that goes to the throttle body.  Then I removed the stock mass air and ACT sensor harness.  I removed the pins from the chassis side harness and installed the pins for my adapter.  Then I plugged in the stock F150 Mass Air harness.  Plugged everthing in, tightened down all the couplers once it was all aligned, and installed the filter in the fenderwell.  I then fired up the quarterhorse, loaded the template for the mass air and updated, and it started right up and settled into a nice idle.  Now I have a very nice setup with the 90mm mass air.

Injectors:
For my mild 306 I'll be installing Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors.  These are the same injectors that are sold as ford racing, except the ones I bought from lightning force performance have the jetronic connector, not the (new) USCAR.  So they should plug right in.  I know - first thought is - "thats way too much injector for that setup".  I thought the same thing too.  Again, the beauty of the QH is that there are only a few parameters to change, and they are published for the injectors:  high slope, low slope, breakpoint and voltage offset.  The injector crank pulsewidth also needs to be adjusted by the ratio of 19's to 60s.  I already created the template for this as well.  These new style injectors are very tame at the low slope and shouldn't cause problems with 'dumping' fuel at low RPM / idle.  They should run like stock but at a MUCH less duty cycle.  The best part - no more buying new injectors if I ever want to upgrade!  These will support any application / upgrade I come up with - right up to block splitting HP (and beyond).  to put it in perspective, I almost bought the 80lb/hr injectors, but just couldn't swing the extra cost right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment