Monday, May 2, 2016

94 Mustang GT: Siemens Deka 60lb/hr Injectors

With the new 90mm Mass Air in place, I decided to do some logging.  The car felt really good during the drive, but I did see 102% Injector Duty Cycle.  Now, we all know that the injectors cannot physically perform to 102% duty cycle, the ECU was commanding that.  It's just showing that the injectors are maxed out.

I already mentioned that I will be installing the Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, which have already arrived.  Lightning Force Performance on eBay seemed to have a great price on these, which were about 300$ shipped to my door.  I did install the injectors Friday night 4/29/2016, and learned something really important about the QH also.  More on that in a minute.

Injector Install:
I first disconnected the fuel cutoff in the trunk and ran the car until it stalled.  Then I removed the EGR tube, then all the plugs to the sensors in the upper intake - EGR, TPS and ISC.  Then I removed the cold air to the throttle body and disconnected the cold air from the TB.  I pulled all the bolts for the upper intake and removed the throttle and cruise cables from the TB and removed the TB bracket.  There were two vac lines I had to disconnect - one for the Kirban FPR and one for the EGR.  Then I was able to lift up the upper intake and remove the PCV / Vac lines from under the intake.  I set the intake off to the side.  I removed the fuel rail hold down bolts and lifted up the fuel rail, carefully, wiggling it as I lifted.  The injectors popped out of the lower intake.  One by one I removed an injector and installed the new one into the fuel rail with some motor oil on the O rings.  I did not install them into the lower intake yet.  Once all the injectors were replaced, I started towards the rear of the motor and pushed down, wiggling one by one until the injectors seated in the lower intake.  Pushing down on the rail, I installed the bolts that hold the rail to the lower intake.  The injectors were in.

After everything went back together, I had to drop the fuel pressure.  I was running the fuel pressure high to try and compensate for the 19's not being enough.  I turned the key on, loaded the template I created for the 60's, and the car started right up and idled just fine.  Then I adjusted the fuel pressure.

I remember reading that if there is more than a 5% change to fuel, that the Keep Alive Memory should be reset.  So I disconnected the ground on the battery and turned the headlights on.  After 5 minutes I reconnected the ground.  I tried to start the car, and nothing happened.  It just cranked and cranked.

I realized something was wrong, but the only thing I did was reset the computer.  I still had the laptop connected, so with the key on, I wrote the base calibration again.  Then loaded the template for the mass air and updated.  Then loaded the template for the 60s and updated.  Then tried to start and it started right up and set into a nice idle.   It was then that I realized that anything that gets 'updated' to the QH that is not part of the saved .BIN will get lost if the battery is ever disconnected.  So any changes to the hardware in the car should be saved as part of the calibration.  Not just updated using templates.  Templates are good for 'try me' scenarios, but the saved calibration should include any calibration changes for upgrades / parts already installed.

The bung for the Innovate LC2 wideband is getting installed tonight.  I'll do some data logging on the way to my buddy's house!

No comments:

Post a Comment